Returning guest, Dr. Lara Owen, talks about the perils of extreme positive thinking, toxic positivity, and how to be your true self in a world dominated by social media and consumerism.
Dr. Lara Owen is a writer and researcher whose interests circulate around the everyday and our potential for living more intelligently, compassionately and sustainably. She has written on spirituality and on women’s wellbeing, and is best known for her ground breaking book on menstruation, Her Blood Is Gold, which was first published in 1993 and has been updated twice, most recently in 2008. The book investigates the impact that cultural constructions of the menstrual cycle have on women, society and the environment, how women are traumatised and minimised through menstrual stigma, and what happens when normative behaviours change. Lara holds a PhD from Monash Business School on innovations in the organisation of menstruation. Listen to Lara talking about her work on episode 015: Her Blood is Gold.
In Toxic Positivity & Extreme Positive Thinking, Dr Lara Owen also talks about:
- Positive thinking – what’s the problem with positive thinking?
- Be careful what you wish for – gather our will and force something
- Buddhism and Daoism – timing is really important
- Sustainability in behaviour and psyche, as well as materially
- The earth is a precious resource
- Living through a pandemic, collective break and staycations
- Fertility, economics and age
- The Dying Rooms
- Medicalised treatment – there is no space for women to make a healthy choice
- The soul is not interested in success as much as it is in truth
- The importance of role models and social media
- Influencers, money makers and consumerism
- Follow someone who mirrors your sense of wholeness
- Fame is not a useful measure about whether you should follow someone or not
- Tune out to take time in to be creative
- How do we know ourselves?
- Contemporary education and contemporary culture takes us away from ourselves
- What is toxic positivity?
- Grief is a part of life
- The energy it takes to remain positive is exhausting
- The truth will out
- Existential and spiritual crisis – what is there to learn throughout this time?
- ‘Being with’ someone versus ‘think positive’
- Society wants us to want things
- Marketing colonizes our mind
- Buy less and buy locally
- What are women buying throughout COVID?
- Positive thinking and the body
- Weight loss is not sustainable
- When is positive thinking useful?
- Surrendering to the soul
Connect with Lara:
Dr Lara Owen’s website
Dr Lara Owen on Facebook
Dr Lara Owen on LinkedIn
Dr Lara Owen on Twitter
Subscribe now to discover why women from all around the globe are tuning in to the Soul Sessions with Jodie Gale podcast.
Want to be a guest on the show? You can find topics of interest and more information on our Write for Us page.