In Is Diet Culture Gaslighting Us, I interview Fiona Sutherland, also known as, The Mindful Dietitian.
Fiona is Director of The Mindful Dietitian and lives in Melbourne, Australia. She has been practising as a Dietitian for over 20 years primarily in the areas of eating behaviour, eating disorders, body image, sports nutrition & education/training. Fiona is a committed Health At Every Size ® and Non Diet Dietitian, and is specifically most passionate about supporting & educating Health Professionals to develop skills and insight into working with clients from a body-inclusive lens. She is host of the Podcast “The Mindful Dietitian” and a Sports Dietitian, consulting at The Australian Ballet School and national sporting organisations. Fiona also teaches across Masters Level Dietetic training programs at several different Universities in Melbourne specifically in Counselling Skills and Weight Inclusive Approaches in Dietetics. Fiona is a dedicated mindfulness practitioner and Yoga Teacher, bringing a particular emphasis on embodiment, mindful eating, trauma-informed approaches and body image into her work and training.
In Is Diet Culture Gaslighting Us? Fiona and I talk about:
- Her own history with body image concerns
- Diet culture throughout time
- The overwhelm women feel at the confusion about what they ‘should’ be eating
- How diet culture gaslights us
- The stories we tell ourselves about food, food rules and where food rules come from
- Black and white thinking about whether food is ‘good, clean, healthy’ or ‘bad, dirty, unhealthy’
- Carbophobia; it’s history, whether carbs are bad and why we end up bingeing on carbs
- How we can heal our relationship with food through intuitive eating, health at every size, self-compassion and trauma informed yoga
Connect with Fiona
The Mindful Dietitian website
The Mindful Dietitian Facebook
The Mindful Dietitian Instagram
The Mindful Dietitian Twitter
Subscribe now to discover why women from all around the globe are tuning in to the Soul Sessions with Jodie Gale podcast.
Want to be a guest on the show? You can find topics of interest and more information on our Write for Us page.